Enrollment update, Faculty Handbook review and a possible May term

Faculty Senate met May 15. Here is what you need to know.

Too long; didn’t read

• Enrollment update
  • Faculty Handbook amendment process
  • May term feedback

Enrollment update and FAFSA

Associate Provost of the College of Arts & Sciences gave a brief update on enrollment, including PSEO students who have committed to Bethel University after they graduate high school. Deposits for traditional students have been down, which can in part be attributed to issues with FAFSA. Normally students receive financial aid packages starting December 1. However, FAFSA sent inaccurate information that was not corrected until April 15, putting the decision process for many students behind. 

Faculty Handbook review

Though faculty have been involved in changes to the Faculty Handbook in the past, there is no written policy mandating faculty involvement. A new revision would determine which aspects of governance faculty would have a direct impact on and for which issues faculty would provide an advisory role instead. Following concerns raised during the last Faculty Senate meeting, the committee focused on these changes and altered the proposal, which was then passed. 

May term feedback

Feedback is currently being sought from faculty and staff about the possibility of establishing a May term instead of a January term. No discussion was held on the topic. Instead, a Google Sheet was provided to collect thoughts and questions from various departments.