Three faculty members awarded

3winners

By Emily Jan

Three different professors were recognized at the Faculty Retreat Aug. 21 for Excellence in Service, Excellence in Teaching and Excellence in Scholarship awards.

Business professors Amanda Carter and Joyce Lemay presented the Excellence of Service award. Carter and Lemay expressed their gratitude for the individual and admiration of her advising sessions in the student dorms. They invited Bethany Opsata to the stage to receive this award.

Political science professor Andrew Bramsen presented the next award of Excellence in Teaching to Christopher Moore.

“It was very humbling,” Moore said when asked about his reaction after receiving the award.

For the final award, Biblical and theological studies professor Bernon Lee introduced the recipient of the Excellence in Scholarship award, Juan Hernandez. Lee extended this introduction to include characteristics and memories that he associated with Hernandez, which sparked laughter from the audience numerous times.

Hernandez expressed the suspicion he felt when he saw Lee head up to the stage.

“When I saw him go up, I thought ‘oh no,’ because they usually pick someone who knows you to introduce you,” Hernandez said.

Even though he felt slightly embarrassed by Lee’s stories, Hernandez said that he was excited to be chosen for an award this year.

Looking back to those previously honored, Moore voiced his appreciation about being one of the three award recipients.

“It’s a nice crowd of people to be a part of,” Moore said.