Monday Quick News

Current news from Bethel, Minnesota and beyond, brought to you by the Clarion.

Abby Petersen | News Editor

Bethel News

• Tonight Bethel hosts a dialogue on policing in community in CC313 at 6 p.m., sponsored by the Office of Diversity and Inclusion. A follow-up discussion will be held Tuesday in the Cultural Connection Center at 4 p.m. Special guests include Ramsey County Sheriff Matt Bostrom and retired St. Paul police officer Melvin Carter Jr.
  • Bethel’s Human Resources department implemented a new online tool allowing students to anonymously report concerns of sexual, racial or ethnic misconduct. The form is available online here.
  • Terracon, an environmental site consulting firm, reported no likely environmental cause for the high number of cancer cases in faculty whose offices are in the Academic Center. Read the story here.

Local News

• Officers responded to a stabbing at Crossroads Mall in St. Cloud Saturday at 8:15 p.m., according to the StarTribune. An off-duty police officer killed the suspect inside the mall. The motive behind the stabbings remains unclear.
  • The Minnesota Vikings played their first game in the new U.S. Bank Stadium Sunday night against the Green Bay Packers. The Vikings won 17-14.

National and World News

• A bombing in Manhattan, New York injured 29 people Saturday. Police found what appeared to be a second bomb a few blocks away from the explosion site, according to CNN. The motive of the attack is still unknown.
  • United States pilots carried out an airstrike in Syria that killed 62 Syrian government troops, according to the New York Times. The United States admitted the pilots believed they were attacking the Islamic State. Although the United State apologized to Syrian government for the mistaken attacks, the Syrian government called the attacks “a very serious and flagrant aggression.” Read the full story here.