Tuesday, Oct. 11

Current news from Bethel, Minnesota and beyond, brought to you by the Clarion.

Callie Schmidt | News Reporter

Bethel News

• This morning Neel Kashkari, President and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis will speak from 10 – 11 a.m. in The Underground. Kashkari will participate in a Q&A session moderated by professor Tim Essenburg. Come learn about Open Market Operations, TARP, Too Big to Fail, running for Governor, what really happens in the West Wing and poverty.
  • Today Royal Legacy is hosting ROAR day. Royal Legacy is a group of students who bridge the gap between students and alumni. Come grab a cookie in the BC and learn more about what alumni are doing for you! Check out more info here.
  • Drop by CC313 tonight at 7 p.m. for a Film Forum featuring Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Windowa mystery thriller.

Local News

• According to the Pioneer Press, the victims killed last week in a helicopter crash in Lino Lakes have been positively identified as Matthew Hayes, 48, and Deborah Smith, 47. Officials believe Hayes, from Minneapolis, to be the pilot. The crash is being investigated by the Anoka County sheriff’s office and federal agencies.
  • According to the StarTribune, a seven-year study shows Minneapolis police are disproportionately citing African-American cyclists for infractions such as riding without lights and reflectors. These findings are in line with a study released last year from American Civil Liberties Union, finding people of color in Minneapolis nearly nine times more likely to be arrested for low-level crimes than their white counterparts.

National and World News

• According to The New York Times, a study by terrorism researchers at West Point shows ISIS propaganda has drastically dropped off after military pressure.
  • Not sure if you’re registered to vote Nov. 8? Check here for information on voting, candidates and issues.
  • Once you register to vote (or if you already are), you can also request an Absentee Voting Ballot to be sent to your P.O. box here at Bethel. Minnesota’s deadline for registering to vote is Oct. 18.

Want to subscribe to Quick News? Click here.