Monday, Oct. 24

Current news from Bethel, Minnesota and beyond, brought to you by the Clarion.

Abby Petersen and Kellie Lawless | Clarion Staff

Bethel News

• College Democrats and College Republicans square off Wednesday night in the first Bethel political debate at 7:30 p.m. Watch the Clarion Facebook page and Twitter feed for live coverage.
  • Head to the Underground Thursday night at 9:15 p.m. for “Persecuted Church,” a Student Ministries event.
  • The Clarion took home first place in the less than weekly category at the Associated Collegiate Press Convention in Washington DC Sunday for our special issue posted earlier this month. Have something you think the Clarion should cover? Email [email protected].

Local News

• A Minneapolis man was sentenced to a sentence of more than seven years after stabbing his wife in the neck, according to the StarTribune. He pleaded guilty to second-degree manslaughter. Read more here.
  • The Minnesota Vikings suffered their first loss of the season Sunday to the Philadelphia Eagles with a final score of 21-10. Read the full story from the StarTribune. 
  • Lanes on I-94 will be closed this week for construction, according to the Pioneer Press. Check out times and closures here.

National and World News

• AT&T agreed to purchase Time Warner this weekend for about $85 billion, according to the New York Times. Read more here.
  • The Islamic state set fire to oil and sulfur in the city of Mosul in northern Iraq, according to TIME. The fires accompany the struggle for control of the city. Read the full story here.
  • CNN reports Hillary Clinton 12 points ahead in Florida. Florida has proven to be a swing state in past elections. Read more here.
  • A little more than two weeks remain until election day Nov. 8. Still not sure who to vote for? Check here for information on voting, candidates and issues. If you’re unsure of where you fall on the political spectrum, take this quiz to find out.