Tuesday, Nov. 15

Current news from Bethel, Minnesota and beyond, brought to you by the Clarion.

CALLIE SCHMIDT | NEWS REPORTER

Bethel News

• Head to the Cultural Connection Center (CC317) today at 3 p.m. for cookies and conversation with Dr. Melanie Hulbert. This conversation is a follow-up to part one of “Understanding and Exploring Whiteness” that took place last night.
    • Part two will be located in the Eastlund Room at 7 p.m. tonight.
  • Head to the Johnson Gallery  on floor 2 of  the CC Building at 4 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 17 to hear Rev. Jim Bear Jacobs discuss “Commissioned Savages: Portrayals of Native Americans in Public Art.”
  • Sign up to donate blood at Student Senate sponsored blood drive this Thursday from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Head to Commons Tables in the Brushaber Commons today or Wednesday from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.

Local News

• According to the Pioneer Press, a candlelight vigil will be held by the Twin Cities Coalition for Justice4Jamar tonight at 5 p.m. on James and Plymouth avenues in Minneapolis. A rally is planned for Friday at the Hennepin County Government Center with a community gathering Saturday at Harrison Park.
  • According to StarTribune, only three stores in the Mall of America will be open on Thanksgiving. The main mall doors will be closed except for the entrance by Crayola Experience and exterior entrances to Macy’s and Sears.
  • According to the Pioneer Press, gold found in far northeast Minnesota in Koochiching County has sparked AngloGold Ashanti to submit an exploration drilling plan. This is the first actual drilling at the site.

National and World News

• President-elect Donald Trump faces growing backlash against his decision to name Stephen K. Bannon as Chief Strategist at the White House, according to The Washington Post. Critics say this choice will empower white nationalists due to Bannon’s alleged “racist, anti-Semitic and misogynistic views.” Read more here.
  • According to The Washington Post, Baylor University sophomore Natasha Nkhama was shoved off the sidewalk and called a racial slur. The male student told her he was “just trying to make America great again.” Two days later, three hundred people gathered to walk Nkhama to class. Read the full story here.
  • According to The New York Times, the latest political fashion statement is attaching a safety pin to clothing to show support for marginalized peoples and to resist hatred. Read more here.