Tuesday, Nov. 8

Current news from Bethel, Minnesota and beyond, brought to you by the Clarion.

CALLIE SCHMIDT | NEWS REPORTER

Bethel News

• Today is Election Day!  Here’s information on how to vote:
    • A Bethel shuttle will be bringing students to and from Valentine Hills Elementary School to vote.
    • The shuttle will run from 10:15 a.m. – 2:45 p.m. and from 5:15 – 8:45 p.m., departing every 15 minutes from the CLC Circle.
    • You can register to vote at the polls if you have not registered already.
    • Bring your license and Bethel ID!
  • Stop by the Underground tonight between 7-11 p.m. to catch a live-stream of the election results, hear political science professors analyze the election and for caramel apples and cupcakes!
  • Stop by Royal Grounds today with your “I voted” sticker to get free brewed coffee!

Local News

• According to the Pioneer Press, Minnesota law does not ban voters from taking a photo with their ballots, known as ballot selfies. The law does, however, prohibit voters from showing their marked ballot to others in the polling place. Learn more here.
  • According to the StarTribune, a St. Paul police officer Brett Palkowitsch kicked St. Paul resident Frank A. Baker, 53, three times in the midsection while a K-9 bit down into his right leg several times during a search for an armed suspect. Baker was cleared of any wrongdoing and Palkowitsch remains the subject of an open complaint and internal affairs investigation.
  • West St. Paul house fire in two locations at the same time leads South Metro Assistant Fire Chief Mark Erickson to suspect arson. Read more from the StarTribune here.

National and World News

• Click here for information on voting, candidates and issues. If you’re unsure of where you fall on the political spectrum, take this quiz to find out.
  • According to The Washington Post, President Obama’s approval ratings are at 56 percent according to a Gallup tracking poll released Sunday, which is the highest they have been since his first days in office.
  • Enjoy unlimited access to NYTimes.com for reporting, analysis and commentary from the lead-up through the aftermath of the 2016 election. Learn more here.