Frolf for the bees

Frisbee Golf tournament to be hosted at Bethel University with an Earth Day focus.

By McKenzie Van Loh

Bethel University hosts its first Professional Disc Golf Association-sanctioned frisbee golf tournament April 22-23 after more than 10 years of building the course. Initially installed with nine holes in 2005, the course expanded to 18 holes during the summer of 2016. A vast majority of the funding came from BSG.

“I first played at Bethel at this course last fall,” professional frisbee golfer Cale Leiviska said. “I was three holes in and I was already in love with the course.”

Leiviska is ranked the sixteenth best professional disc golf player in the world according to the PDGA world rankings.

When Leiviska is not winning tournaments, he likes to organize them. While planning a series of tournaments, Leiviska asked if Bethel could be on the list.

The tournament will be about more than the competition. The event, titled “The Earth Day Celebration,” plans to give back to the environment by drawing attention to the Honey Bee.

“We more just want to create awareness for the problems the bees are facing.” Leiviska said.

Airborn, Leiviska’s frisbee golf company, will be sell newly designed honeybee discs at the event. The proceeds will go to the University of Minnesota bee lab.

Biblical and Theological studies professor Jim Beilby is happy the tournament will have an Earth Day focus. Beilby, who has helped build Bethel’s Frisbee Golf course since it began, believes this sport is environmentally friendly.

“There’s a really strong emphasis on maintaining creation,” Beilby said. Beilby has registered for The Earth Day Celebration himself.

Amateurs compete Saturday, April 22. Professionals compete April 23. Spectators are welcome but should be quiet. Those who are interested in participating in the event can register here