High sticks and high stakes

After two straight years of heartbreaking disappointment, the “Genetic Advantage” broomball team stuck together and came out on top in the Bethel University intramural championship.

By Jared Martinson

Chris Stein steps out on the ice of the Bethel University broomball rink. He’s tired after committing so much effort in back-to-back games, but there’s no time to quit while his squad’s window of opportunity is shrinking.

It’s now or never for “Genetic Advantage,” the Stein family-based broomball team that has come up short in the playoffs for two years in a row. They aren’t going to let the chance at a title slip away this time around.

“I know where my family’s going to be on the ice,” Chris said. “We’ve played together for so long it makes the game easier.”

Who exactly is that family? Along with Chris, it includes brother Matt Stein, cousin Jake Stein and cousin Sam Adamson as well as father and Bethel professor, Dr. Keith Stein. For dad, there’s no better feeling than being able to sit back and observe his boys get along so well on the ice.

021518-broomball-family
From L to R: Matt, Jacob, Chris and Keith Stein. | Photo by Jared Martinson

“I feel like I get the easy job,” Dr. Stein explained. “I get to watch them work together. They’ve been playing together so long that they just click.”

In the semifinal round on Thursday evening, “Genetic Advantage” was threatened with a tough game, narrowly edging “Dump and Chase” 1-0 in a shootout. Then, they took on “Buzzin @ 102.9” in the final game of the season, which proved to be one for the ages. The Stein family and company took down their opponent 1-0 after a riveting overtime period, breaking the curse of two consecutive championship game losses. The feeling is not lost on the tight-knit group.

“I know this means so much, especially since we won it this year,” Chris said. “My dad came out of retirement since he’s had his kids here the last four years, so it was great to win with him.”

“It feels like destiny,” Dr. Stein added.

Chris had just one word to describe the long-awaited victory.

“Finally.”