Humans Of Bethel: Kalley Fosso

Kalley Fosso dreams of using her God-given gifts for her dream job.

By Elizabeth Dahlin

Background action/info: Painting teacher’s assistant, Kalley Fosso, was in the painting 1 studio with two art students guiding them in how to construct canvases for their upcoming paintings Mar. 5 at 5 pm. Fosso is a senior, fine arts student that works in mixed media but primarily with paint. Her pieces were showcased in the Johnson gallery from Jan. 11-18 during this year’s j-term student show titled, “It Started in Tettegouche.” Her large mixed media paintings from her senior seminar project are now displayed in the BC gallery. As she was overseeing and aiding the new painting students, indie music played over the speakers in the background, filling the room with creative vibes. If you’re interested in seeing more of her artistic creations, her portfolio website is kalleyfosso.myportfolio.com, or you can find her on Instagram as @california.fosso.

180305_Dahlin_Humans_KalleyFosso_03
Fosso’s  work was shown in this J-term’s Johnson gallery student show Jan. 11-18 titled, “It Started In Tettegouche,” as well as four of her larger mixed media pieces part of her senior seminar project shown in the Brushaber Commons gallery. | Photo by Kalley Fosso 

“My dream job would be a “creative” working within marketing. What that means is I would be using both my studio and design skills but on a marketing team. I am a studio person because I like to use my hands a lot, but I think it’s fun to translate that kind of work into a world where more people would be exposed to it, which is design. I would like to take a year to backpack or travel, because I don’t know if I can jump into the routine of work immediately after school. I’m trying to be patient and see what God has planned for me.

I’ve always been passionate about art. I think it’s one of the easiest ways I express myself, either in dealing with really difficult things or expressing the joy that God has given me. It’s a rare gift and I like to see the joy that it gives other people. I love the process of making things, but I really love to share the end product with people and see the joy it gives them or hear their thoughts. It’s a unique gift that God has given me and I want to use it well. He probably has a plan for it somewhere!

180305_Dahlin_Humans_KalleyFosso_02
Senior fine art student, Kalley Fosso, gives fellow art student, Sophie Bland, advice on how to construct a canvas as part of her painting TA duties in the Bethel painting one studio Mar. 5. Fosso has been a painting TA for two years and many of her own pieces are made with paint. | Photo by Kalley Fosso 

Art has always been a part of my life, but I think I had confidence in getting a degree in it because my family has always been very supportive of my passions. If they hadn’t been so supportive, I probably would have gone to school for a more “practical job.” My mom got a degree in drafting. During her time it was all done by hand and drawing, so she inspired me to pursue art. Although all of my work is abstract, it started out with her.

I’m scared that that there’s not a job like I want out there. My dream job is so new to a lot of people in the midwest. I would love to be an artist, but at the same time I have other skills that I know are useful as well. There’s more to me than just a fine arts degree. Some people don’t give me a chance. Art is something that is so common to me that it’s hard for me to explain to people sometimes. It’s something so natural to me, but so different to some people.

I am excited about the possibility of working with other creatives, and to see the potential my art and God-given passions have in other areas in this world. I’m excited to make cool stuff!”