Top animated movies

Use the unexpected inches of snow as an excuse to nestle in and watch childhood movies. Bethel students have reviewed their favorite cartoon films – so sit back, relax and regress.

insideout

Looking from the Inside Out

Disney Pixar’s “Inside Out” combines lighthearted childish elements with a deeper
underlying message of mental illness. The movie personalizes five key emotions (Joy, Sadness, Fear, Anger, and Disgust) inside of an uprooted pre-teenage girl’s brain and illustrates the importance of balance between them.

An example of this meaningful message comes in a scene where Riley attempts to run
away from home. In this scene, the emotion characters start to lose control of the panel they use to control Riley’s thoughts. When the panel shuts down, she feels no emotion. This powerful scene illustrates depression to viewers.

This film can, and should, be enjoyed by both children and adults. Kiddos will delight in
the lively antics of the emotions, while adults will appreciate a unique way of looking deeperinto the workings of the brain. This film will take the viewer, no matter the age, on an emotional rollercoaster.

— Laura Osterlund 

finding nemo

The Courageous Clownfish

As determined as a dog is to eat human food, a clownfish rushes across the ocean to
rescue his lost son. “Finding Nemo” blends adventure, humor, and drama to create a spectacular movie with valuable life lessons revealed throughout the plot.

An example of Finding Nemo’s humor and drama occurs when Marlin, Nemo’s dad, says
to his companion Dory, “Of course I like you. It’s because I like you I don’t want to be with you. It’s a complicated emotion." Marlin can’t afford to lose Dory so he effectively avoids conflict in an awkward and humorous way.

So sit back, relax, and get your popcorn ready because this movie will change your
outlook on what really happens in the deep blue sea. Just be sure that your dog does not snatch your popcorn before the movie starts!

–Matthew Bohlke