Sports recap

Baseball, softball, women’s and men’s tennis, women’s and men’s track and field, women’s and men’s golf.

By Josh Towner
051718-spts-recap-johnson
Baseball: Freshman Sam Riola prepares to hurl a pitch in a game against Augsburg University May 6. | Photo by Jasmine Johnson

Baseball

• The baseball team defeated St. John’s in the MIAC championship by a score of 8-0, making this their second championship in three years. Junior Michael Bohlke was named one of five MIAC All-District Baseball Honorees for academics. Bohlke had the highest GPA of all honorees with a GPA of 3.90.
  • Record: 32-9
  • Up next: The Royals will play against the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh in their first ever NCAA tournament May 17.
051718-spts-softball
Softball: Freshman Allie Fauth sprints towards first base in a game against Hamline University May 1. | Photo by Katie Viesselman

Softball

• The softball team closed out their season with a win against St. Olaf May 2. Senior Wendy Roberts and freshman Allie Fauth were named MIAC All-Conference, freshman Jamie Axelberg made the MIAC Honorable Mention Team and senior Maddie Fauth made the MIAC Softball All-Sportsmanship Team.
  • Record: 15-21
051718-spts-mtennis-viesselman
M Tennis: Junior Hunter Fernelius and senior Jakob Bartels walk through warmups before a match. | Photo by Katie Viesselman

Men’s Tennis

• The men’s tennis team defeated Hamline University in their season finale April 28. Junior Hunter Fernelius made the MIAC All-Conference Singles Team, while senior Peter Lindberg was named to the MIAC All-Sportsmanship Team.
  • Record: 6-8
051718-spts-wtennis-viesselman
W Tennis: Junior Jill Weinzettel leaps for a forehand hit. | Photo by Katie Viesselman

Women’s Tennis

• The women’s tennis team lost to Gustavus Adolphus College in the MIAC semifinals. Senior Mattie Kidder, freshman Mackenzie Novak and freshman Maggie Riermann were named to the MIAC All-Conference Singles Team and coach Drew Fernelius was named Co-Coach of the Year with Gustavus coach Jon Carlson. Kitter, Novak, Riermann and junior Jill Weinzettel made the MIAC All-Conference Doubles Team and sophomore Meghan Schuler made the MIAC All-Sportsmanship Team.
  • Record: 15-6
051718-spts-mtrack-holmberg
M T&F: Freshman Ezekiel Lelinga hauls through the 800m at Hamline University’s Meet of the Unsaintly. | Photo by Carlo Holmberg

Men’s Track and Field

• The men’s track team took fourth in the MIAC championships. The trio of Carl Klamm, Karl Olsen and Isaac Erickson swept the 400m race, and the relay team took first in the 4x400m. Karl Olsen also took second in the 200m. Evan Hatton took second in the 800m and Anders Rasmussen took fourth in the 3000m steeplechase.
  • Up next: The team will travel to the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse May 17. Runners that qualify will advance to the national NCAA Division III tournament May 24-26. The national tournament will also be at UW-La Crosse.
051718-spts-wtrack-holmberg
W T&F: Senior Sara Wegner races through the 800m in the Meet of the Unsaintly at Hamline University. | Photo by Carlo Holmberg

Women’s Track and Field

• The women’s track team took seventh in the MIAC championships. Delia Labatt took first place in the 400m, while Erin Alpers and AddieKay Johnson took third and fourth respectively. The 4x400m relay team took first, while Annika Halverson took fifth in the 1500m and Corin McKinstrey took fifth in the 400m hurdles.
  • Up next: The team will travel to the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse May 17. Qualifying runners will advance to the national NCAA Division III tournament May 24-26. The national tournament will also be at UW-La Crosse.

Men’s Golf

• The men’s golf team played 36 holes over two days in New Prague to complete their season, finishing fourth out of seven teams at the Gustie Invite in Le Sueur on May 4 and third out of eight teams at the Bobby Krig Invitational on May 5. Noah Bragg shot a 75 (+5) at the Gustie Invite and 72 (+1) at the Bobby Krig Invitational, good enough to tie for 7th on both days.

Women’s Golf

• The women’s golf team placed eighth of nine teams at the Carleton Spring Invitational April 28-29, shooting a total of 688 (+112) in Northfield. Christine Piwinca finished tied for first place among all individuals over the two days, scoring a total of 151 (+7) on her 36 holes.
  • Senior Christine Piwinca placed 35th of 130 golfers at the NCAA Division III Championship at the Mission Inn golf course in Howley-In-The-Hills, Florida. Piwnica is the first women’s golfer to play in the NCAA championship, and earned All-American honors.