Royals beat St. Kate’s

The Bethel women’s basketball team edged out St. Kate’s 64-55 at home.

By Zach Walker, Clarion Sports Reporter

In game full of fouls, steals, and lead changes, the Bethel Royals defeated the St. Catherine’s Wildcats 64-55 Jan 5 at Bethel University’s Robertson Center.

Scoring for Bethel was evenly spread. Hannah Johnson led the team with 14 points, while Taite Anderson and Makenna Pearson followed with 12 points each. Sam Orth and Danica Cambrice led the Wildcats with 12 and 11 respectively, the only players with double-digit points.

Makenna Pearson proved essential to the Royals during the fourth quarter, hitting a pair of threes and leading the team in steals with five.

2019-01-05-WBB-TouchUps-4
Sophomore Bella Williams lays out for the ball. Above, senior Taite Anderson tracks down a long rebound in the corner. | Photos by Josh Towner.

Despite a tough shooting night, the Royals proved dominant on defense. Running a full-court press for most of game and a zone defense in the halfcourt, Bethel forced 22 turnovers.

“Our zone came up big for us today,” coach Jon Herbrechtsmeyer said. “We didn’t want to play strength on strength.”

The third ranked Royals hope to continue their six-game winning streak Wednesday when they host the second ranked Augsburg University.  

“We are capable of winning the MIAC,” senior starter Taite Anderson said. “That’s what we desire.”