Spring in to these ice cream shops

By Taylor Fondie

With temperatures rising now that spring is finally here, it’s the perfect time to hit your old favorite, or maybe discover a new place for a creamy treat. This list doesn’t cover nearly all of the ice cream shops in Minnesota, but it gives some of the top selections of where to go and what to order.

Izzy’s Ice Cream

2034 Marshall Ave St.Paul, MN

Recommended Flavor: Chocolate Peanut Butter with Burnt Caramel for the Izzy’s Scoop

The most iconic ice cream shop in Minnesota, offering many tasty ice cream flavors with a novel and smart twist. Izzy’s is home to the Izzy scoop, a delightful mini scoop on top, think of “the cherry on top” but instead of a cherry, it’s ANOTHER scoop of ice cream.

Licks Unlimited

31 Water St Excelsior, MN 55331

Recommended Flavor: Fat Elvis

Licks Unlimited always has a line out the door during the dog-days of summer, they have over 30 different flavors ranging from Superman to Brownie Cascade, and every time you walk in it’s like you’re going back to the 1950s, the decor is pink and delightful.

Wonder’s Ice Cream

12410 Aberdeen St NE unit 500, Blaine, MN 55449

Recommended Flavors: #1 Oreo Oreo or Taro

Wonders is Minnesota’s first rolled ice cream shop offering 20 amazing flavors. They are known to be the hibachi of ice cream. It’s so simple yet entertaining to watch.

Sweet Science Ice Cream

1360 Lexington Pkwy N St.Paul, MN 55103

Recommended Flavor: Scott’s Smores or Basil mixed with the Strawberry Mascarpone

Create your own one of a kind, sweet treat with organic ingredients and gluten free options.

Cup and Cone

2126 4th St, White Bear Lake, MN 55110

Recommended Flavor: Chocolate ice cream or flavor of the day mix, dipped in crunch

The Cup & Cone is the definition of little local ice cream shack. The prices are cheap and the quality is unmatched. From amazing soft serve, malts, shakes, grinders, hoagies, you name it. Don’t forget to add the crunch onto your ice cream, it is magical and worth every pound you’ll gain from being addicted.

Nelson’s Ice Cream

454 Snelling Ave S, St Paul, MN 55105

Recommended Flavor: Cake Batter and Banana Ice Cream

Best bang for your buck to satisfy your vice for ice cream. Ordering the child size at Nelson’s is NOT like ordering off the kid’s menu, it is more than enough for two.

Lake Country Crafts and Cones

36084 Co Rd 66, Crosslake, MN 56442

Recommended Flavor: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Waffle Cone

A cute little shop with a  good ice cream selection of 32 flavors.

Dairy Queen

1720 Lexington Ave N, Roseville, MN 55113

Recommended flavor: Chocolate Extreme Blizzard

Minnesota’s oldest Dairy Queen goes back to 1947 and still holds a glowing neon sign. Walk up in line and order any of the classics from Peanut Buster Parfait to a served upside down Blizzard with any selection of the candy mixes.

Portillos

1800 County Road B2 W, Roseville, MN 55113

Recommended Flavor: Cake Shake

Chicago-based Portillo’s chain has expanded into the Minneapolis-St. Paul market. Be sure when you stop in to try out their cake shake, it’s a piece of cake mixed with ice cream, and it’s absolutely delicious.

Tom’s Popcorn

4708 Cedar Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55407

Recommended Flavor: Banana Shake

Known for their popcorn, but be sure to get their one of a kind banana shake. The owner, Tom will make it a memorable time and always yells “See you tomorrow” on your way out.

Photo courtesy of Amanda Salsberg