Instacreator: People person photographer

Yang’s Instagram Page | Screenshot from Instagram

The Clarion searches deep in the trenches of Instagram to discover unique student creators.

By Rachel Blood and Thanh Nguyen

Kathy Yang, senior social work and reconciliation studies student, turned her hobby into a successful business. She is now a portrait photographer with clients all over the Twin Cities area and aims to help others learn to love their appearances.

Q: What year are you in and what are you studying at Bethel?

A: This fall I’m going to be a senior and I’m studying social work and reconciliation studies. 

Q: When did you start taking an interest in photography? What (or who) inspired it? When did you turn your hobby into a business?

A: I’ve always had a DSLR camera growing up, I always brought it with me everywhere and was always taking photos of my friends or cousins. My interest in photography started because of my older cousin Kongmeng, he used the camera and took pictures of so many different things and made it look so cool. It inspired me to try to do the same. 

My photography business started my senior year of high school. I was asked to take some senior pictures of my friends and through word-of-mouth that’s how I got new clients. Since then, I’ve made a website, a facebook and Instagram page. That’s primarily how I reach my future clients now.

Yang's Work
Yang’s Work | Screenshot from Instagram

Q: What’s your favorite type of photography?

A: I really love portrait/lifestyle photography — anything that has to do with people. 

Q: What is your goal as a photographer?

A: I don’t really have a set goal as a photographer. I think making others see how beautiful they truly are and being able to capture their personalities through my lens is probably my biggest goal. I always want my friends to feel good, being in front of the camera is a vulnerable position. It’s hard!

To make people feel comfortable and love what they look like is my biggest goal as a photographer. 

Facetime PhotoshootBaby Photoshoot

Q: How long is your average photoshoot?

A: Most of my sessions range from 30 minutes to an hour and 30 minutes. I offer different packages so it usually depends. I usually will get photos I love 15 minutes into a session. 

Q: How can others go about booking a shoot with you?

A: If anyone is interested in a session with me, they can find me on Facebook, Instagram, on my website, or go straight for my email at [email protected].