The Egg: February 21st

Inspired by TheSkimm, longer than the e-announcements, created with your short attention span in mind.

By Sarah Bakeman | News Editor

Concerto-Aria auditions Thursday

Come to Benson Great Hall at 7:30 p.m. this Thursday to listen to great vocal and instrumental performances by students. Judges will evaluate the performances and award the first place winner with a cash prize and the chance to perform with the orchestra in their May concert. I’m imagining  Simon-Cowell-esque judging accompanied by J.J.-Wentworth-commercial-esque performances. Admission is free, so don’t miss out.

Employee and student trivia night

When is Barack Obama’s birthday? In what year was Joan of Arc burned at the stake? What is the economic relationship between the 2004 release of “Shrek 2” and the 2007 housing market crash? If you can answer any of these questions, you may have what it takes to be victorious in the employee and student trivia night happening this Thursday from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in the Underground. Teams can be anywhere from 3-6 people. If you don’t have one prepared, you can be placed in one. Sign up here.

Outside In art gallery exhibition

Outside In features capstone projects from graduating art and design students. There will be a variety of themes presented in a variety of mediums. There will be an in-person viewing and reception from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Johnson Gallery on Wednesday, but the art will be up through March 6. Find more event information here.

The power outage explained

Where were you when the Great Power Outage of 2022 happened? A few theories have made their way across campus. Ross Allen forgot to pay the energy bill. It was a planned attack so that Bethel could steal our wallets in the dark. Blake Birno was hacking the student body election servers. Alas, these theories have been denied by Vice President of Facilities and ITS Mark Posner. The power outage was a mix between an unplanned service disruption from Xcel Energy and the failure of Bethel’s backup generators. Personally, I don’t buy it. I choose to believe that the outage was caused by dumpster squirrels and Getsch mice teaming up to chew through every wire on campus.