Unicycle races, Handel’s “Messiah” and chainsaws

Four of your Bethel University professors list their summer memories, childhood dreams and favorite Royal Grounds drinks.

Walking into your first college class can be intimidating, but knowing your professors can help ease some nerves. Ever wonder how they take their coffee or what they wanted to be as an eight year old? Some of them teach QWILT or Humanities – a series of courses fulfilling the general education requirement. Some of these professors teach the first-year classes for the most popular majors at Bethel from nursing to business to biokinetics. Or they teach classes with tags (the letter behind the number on some classes) that you will probably take this year. But more than anything, they are excited to meet you. No need to be scared (Trust me, I know, I was you once). Meet them here and learn some Bethel lingo along the way. Find the professors in your major and the ones teaching your classes this year, 

Disclaimer: Some answers have been edited for grammatical errors and clarity.

Nicole Lambrecht | Music & Theater

Favorite summer memory: Hiking with my family & dog

Favorite RG drink: Peanut butter banana smoothie

Favorite place to be alone: I love sitting outside by the lake or on the patio in the sunshine!

Freshman memory: Singing in the choir & getting to perform Handel’s “Messiah” for the first time

Joel Frederickson | Psychology

Favorite summer memory: Hiked and camped in Rocky Mountain National Park. Also, biking to Twins games.

Favorite Bethel tradition: The unicycle race in the tunnel that connects the main buildings to the Lakeside Center. 

What they wanted to be as an 8-year-old: Firefighter and pro baseball player; so a relief pitcher, I guess.

Gretchen Wrobel | Psychology

Favorite summer memory: Spending time with my grandsons and seeing the production of “Emma” at the Guthrie

Favorite DC meal: Make-your-own stir fry

Favorite Bethel tradition: It’s not a tradition, but I love to watch the women’s sports teams in action.

Teaching essential: My mug of tea

Rollins King | Chemistry

Favorite summer memory: Learned to use (and maintain) a chainsaw. Attending a research conference in Virginia.

What they wanted to be as an 8-year-old: A band director (I don’t really remember being eight)

What they are looking forward to this semester: To open eyes to the joy of doing physical science.