Healing Cupid’s wound

Whether you’re a lover or a hater of Valentine’s Day, spend the holiday practicing self-love.

I must warn you: I’m about to be cynical. A party pooper, if you will. 

I’m going to say it: I’m a Valentine’s Day hater. I think the only time I remember genuinely enjoying the frigid day in the middle of February was when I was in third grade and I came home from school with a paper bag full of half-eaten blue raspberry Fun Dips and heart-shaped Reese’s. 

But since then, when Feb. 14 rolls around, I can’t help but want to avoid that day at all costs. I don’t know what sparked this animosity. Maybe it’s the fact that I’ve always been single on Valentine’s Day and felt like I had no place in society, or maybe it’s America’s tendency to spend way too much money on promoting the holiday, leading people to over-consume. Who needs a giant pink teddy bear anyways? It’s just going to sit in your closet and lead to nightmare fuel once it starts to get saggy. 

As much as I am going to want to delete Instagram for the day and profess to everyone who crosses my path how much I think the holiday is pointless, I’ve decided that this year, I am going to spend the day trying to embrace the day that’s about love – but with self-love. 

I struggle to find time for myself while in college. With the never ending assignments, deadlines and responsibilities, I can’t remember the last time I intentionally did something to “treat” myself besides grabbing a mocha from RG between classes. 

So, if you’re anything like me and struggle to genuinely enjoy Valentine’s Day or are wishing you had a significant other to spend it with, join me in taking a day for yourself. 

Take a break on the homework – you have plenty of time to get the assignments done. 

Make a Trader Joe’s run and buy yourself some ice cream.

Put on a favorite TV show. I’m partial to “Friends.

Order Davanni’s with your Flex dollars. 

Do whatever makes you feel loved by you. 

Then that aversion to Valentine’s Day can finally be squashed and when Cupid comes around, his wound won’t hurt as bad.