Tuesday Quick News

Current news from Bethel, Minnesota and beyond, brought to you by the Clarion.

Callie Schmidt | News Reporter

Bethel News

• This morning join political science faculty in the Library Fireside Lounge from 10:15 – 11 a.m. as they discuss the 2016 election campaign in a live podcast recording session. To view this and other podcasts in the series, visit their iTunes site.
  • Tonight from 4 – 5 p.m., a follow-up discussion is offered to the dialogue about policing and community with Ramsey County Sheriff Matt Bostrom and retired St. Paul police officer Melvin Carter Jr. The discussion will take place in the Cultural Connections Center.
  • September is national campus safety awareness month, so Bethel’s Office of Security and Safety provided short videos to raise awareness of safety on campus on topics such as protecting your possessions and identity, everyday safety, stalking and assault.

Local News

• According to the Pioneer Press, the motive of Saturday’s stabbing in St. Cloud is still unclear, but FBI say it is being investigated as a “potential act of terrorism.” After the attacker stabbed nine people, he confronted an off-duty police officer who shot him to death. Read the full story here.
  • Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson tore his meniscus in his right knee during Sunday night’s win against the Packers, according to the StarTribune. The recovery time and when he will return to the Vikings is currently unknown.
  • According to the StarTribune, a newly released survey shows Minneapolis as rated one of the highest in the nation for bicycle commuting. Read the full story here.

National and World News

• The suspect in the Manhattan bombing this weekend was found sleeping outside a bar and was taken into custody after surviving a shoot-out with the police, according to CNN. “We have every reason to believe this was an act of terror,” New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Monday. Read the full story here.
  • According to the New York Times, the Syrian military declared seven-day partial cease-fire is over on Monday, which threatens the agreement to restart peace talks of ending the war negotiated by Russia and the United States. Read the full story here.