Friday, Sept. 30

Current news from Bethel, Minnesota and beyond, brought to you by the Clarion.

Abby Petersen | News Editor

Bethel News

• Controversy over graffiti on the rock in Kresge courtyard prompted protests and a gathering in the Brushaber Commons Wednesday. Read the story here.
  • Bethel Student Government hosts the homecoming banquet tonight. Doors open at 6 p.m. at the Sports and Recreation Center (SRC) with a dance to follow.
  • The Bethel football team plays Saint John’s University Saturday at 1 p.m. in the Royal Stadium. Follow it here.
  • Head to the second floor of the Academic Center Saturday between 9 a.m – 11 a.m. to pay tribute to Stacey Hunter-Hecht and G.W. Carlson, political science professors who passed away in the last year.

Local News

• The Minnesota Twins won 7-6 to the Kansas City Royals Thursday, according to the StarTribune. Read the story here.
  • Regency Beauty Institute, a beauty school based in Minnesota, permanently shut down all of its 79 locations Wednesday, according to the StarTribune. Many students fear they won’t get their money back – or the chance to graduate.
  • St. Paul woman Melissa Marie Fostvedt was sentenced to more than 16 years in prison by a Ramsey county judge for stabbing and killing her boyfriend after an argument in their apartment, according to the Pioneer Press. Read the full story here.

National and World News

• A commuter train in New Jersey crashed Thursday morning, leaving one person dead and more than 100 injured, according to the Washington Post. Officials say the crash was an accident.
  • Aleppo, Syria struggles on the brink of collapse while the Obama administration decides whether to step in and help, according to CNN. The city, located in the northwest region of Syria, is under siege by Syran regime forces. Read the story here.
  • Not sure if you’re registered to vote Nov. 8? Check here for information on voting, candidates and issues. If you’re unsure of where you fall on the political spectrum, take this quiz to find out.

Want to subscribe to Quick News? Click here.