Wednesday, Oct. 5

Current news from Bethel, Minnesota and beyond, brought to you by the Clarion.

Abby Petersen | News Editor

Bethel News

• Head to the Eastlund Room tonight at 6 p.m. for a discussion on following Jesus without dishonoring our parents.
  • Drop by the Fireside Lounge in the library Thursday at 10:20 a.m. for the first part of a two-part series on microagression by Chief Diversity Officer Ruben Rivera and Associate Dean of Intercultural Programs Leah Fulton.
  • Looking for something to do over fall break? The Bethel men’s soccer team plays Saint John’s University Saturday at 3:30 p.m. in Collegeville. The football team plays Carleton College at 1 p.m. in Northfield. The women’s soccer team plays College of Saint Benedict at 1 p.m. in St. Joseph

Local News

• St. Paul Public Schools is attempting to push back start times for high school students, according to the StarTribune. Read more here.
  • Six people were wounded Monday during two shootings in Minneapolis, according to the StarTribune. In response, police officials initiated new anti-crime programs in an attempt to decrease crime in hot spots.

National and World News

• Tim Kaine and Mike Pence, vice presidential candidates, faced off in the vice presidential debate Tuesday night. Read more here.
  • Hurricane Matthew hit Haiti Monday with winds of up to 145 miles an hour, according to the New York Times. Meteorologists describe the storm as a potential catastrophe for the country.
  • Not sure if you’re registered to vote Nov. 8? Check here for information on voting, candidates and issues. If you’re unsure of where you fall on the political spectrum, take this quiz to find out.

Want to subscribe to Quick News? Click here.