Tuesday, Oct. 18

Current news from Bethel, Minnesota and beyond, brought to you by the Clarion.

Callie Schmidt | News Reporter 

Bethel News

• This morning from 10:20-11am in the Fireside Lounge presenters will share about the partnership between Frogtown and Summit University (FSU) neighborhoods and the Bethel community. Presenters will include:
    • Tanden Brekke, Assistant Director of Community Engagement/Service-learning
    • Jolene Rotich, Senior International Relations/Business and Political Science student
    • Kiersti Phenow, Senior Reconciliation Studies/Social Work student
    • Melvin Giles, Urban Farm and Garden Alliance
    • Megan Phinney, Urban Farm and Garden Alliance
  • Head over to CC430 tonight from 7-8 p.m. for a Nordic ski club informational meeting! No experience is necessary, and there will be free food provided at the meeting!

Local News

• A 6-year-old boy from Wilmar died after a large older-style television fell off a stand and hit him in the head, according to the Pioneer Press. Read more here.
  • Target is pulling all clown masks from their shelves weeks before Halloween due to clown attacks terrorizing the United States recently. The Minneapolis-based retailer has 1,799 stores in the United States. According to the Pioneer Press, scary-clown rumors have led to arrests and school lockdowns across the country.
  • According to the StarTribune, Edina is dropping the case against a black man cited for walking on the street around a construction site.

National and World News

• NBC News fired Billy Bush after he was caught on tape with Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump having a vulgar conversation about women. According to Fox News, Bush was heard laughing as Trump talked about groping and trying to have sex with women.
  • Yesterday, Pepsi said it’s getting serious about cutting sugar from its drinks. Pepsi said that two-thirds of its single serving drinks will have 100 or fewer calories by 2025 as it cuts back on sugar. According to CNN, less than 40 percent of Pepsi drinks have 100 calories or fewer currently.
  • Today is the deadline for registering to vote in Minnesota! Not sure if you’re registered to vote Nov. 8? Check here for more information on voting, candidates and issues.
    • Once you register to vote, you can also request an Absentee Voting Ballot to be sent to your P.O. box here at Bethel.

Want to subscribe to Quick News? Click here.