Tuesday, Oct. 25

Current news from Bethel, Minnesota and beyond, brought to you by the Clarion.

Callie Schmidt | News Reporter

Bethel News

• Wednesday is the last day to add or drop a 2nd Half-Term course. Students may withdraw from a 2nd Half course from Oct. 27 through Dec. 2.
  • Head to the Underground Wednesday night to see the College Democrats and the College Republicans in the first Bethel political debate at 7:30 p.m. Watch the Clarion Facebook page and Twitter feed for live coverage.
    • College Democrats representatives: Berit Turnquist, Jessica Arend, Daniel Gray, and Lauren Kragt
    • College Republicans representatives: Samuel Krueger, Michael Cameron, and John Ratliff

Local News

• According to the Pioneer Press, all 75 Minnesota state parks entry fees will be waived on Black Friday this year.
  • According to a new Star Tribune Minnesota poll, Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton leads Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump 47 to 39 percent in the poll of 625 registered Minnesota voters taken after last week’s third and final presidential debate.
  • Head over to the Minnesota Senate Office Building for a state job fair from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday. They will be hiring nurses, engineers, park rangers, State Patrol officers, and maintenance and communications workers. For more information, click here.

National and World News

• California, Massachusetts, Maine, Arizona and Nevada are voting on recreational marijuana on election day Nov. 8. According to The New York Times, a yes vote in California would be a giant leap for the movement to legalize marijuana.
  • The Islamic state set fire to oil and sulfur in the city of Mosul in northern Iraq, according to TIME. Obama said there has been extensive planning for the day after Iraqi forces win control of Mosul at a White House Rose Garden news conference. According to CNN, Obama said there is a “strategic as well as humanitarian interest in us getting this right.”
  • A little more than two weeks remain until election day Nov. 8. Still not sure who to vote for? Check here for information on voting, candidates and issues. If you’re unsure of where you fall on the political spectrum, take this quiz to find out.