A space to come together

Bethel Student Government and the Election Committee came together Tuesday night to watch the election.

Madeline Koengeter | Freelance

Dressed in blue jeans, khakis, sweatshirts and button downs, students at Bethel University participated in the Election Night Party event Nov. 8 in the Underground from 7 to 11 p.m. Students sat in clusters with their laptops out, chatting and doing homework. Bethel figures such as Vice President of Student Life William Washington and Provost Deb Harless were in attendance along with many political science professors.

The majority of students said that they attended the event because they were anxiously waiting for the results. The main draw was that they wanted to see who would succeed in the presidential campaign. Being at the party allowed them to have a discussion of facts.

“I didn’t come to look at the results, I could google the results,” said senior Cash Rodamaker. “It’s easier just to walk over … I came to see the people.”

Mitchell Krumm, political science professor, said that this time is especially stressful for those who care about the outcome. According to Krumm, coming together as a community can alleviate that stress. Political science professors Krumm, Chris Moore and Andrew Bramsen all participated in the event to help inform and facilitate deeper conversation in order to share their goal of bringing a community together.

“Walking around to all the tables, I see democrats and republicans sitting together,”  Washington said. “You can see the divide (between parties) bringing people together.”

Donald Trump won the presidency with more than 270 electoral votes, according to The Washington Post. Read the story here.