Thursday, Nov. 17

Current news from Bethel, Minnesota and beyond, brought to you by the Clarion.

CeCe Gaines | News Reporter 

Bethel News

• From 10:20-11 a.m. Primetime at BU Library will feature Matt Nelson and Nick Lowery as they discuss,”Living the Tensions: Majority Becoming the Minority,” a Study Abroad Spotlight presentation.  
  • Student Senate is sponsoring a Delete Blood Cancer drive to register people to be potential bone marrow donors from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. outside the Underground. Senate will do bone marrow registry on Thursday, so early registration is not required.
  • Come to the Johnson Gallery at 4 p.m. as Reverend Jim Bear Jones discusses how we see public art that represents Native peoples. Michelle Westmark Wingard’s exhibition The Shape of Memory will also be on display at this time.
  • Stop by the Underground for Cocoa and Canvas from 9-11 p.m. to relax and paint! There will be an instructor or you can free paint. 

Local News

• St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez was charged with second-degree manslaughter in the July fatal shooting of Philando Castile, according to the Pioneer Press. Read how Castile’s family reacted, and what the future looks like for Officer Yanez here.

• A math teacher at St. Paul’s Como Park Senior High is on administrative leave over statements he made related to the presidential election. Read the full Pioneer Press story .

• The Minnesota Zoo and Como Zoo had a one-hour cute-off on Twitter that featured pictures and videos of animals, according to the Pioneer Press. Click here to see the tweets and also vote for which zoo you think is the cutest.

National and World News

•  College campuses have become new battlegrounds over immigration as student protests pick up around the US in the wake of last week’s presidential election, according to CNN. Read a report with live tweets and videos about ‘sanctuary campuses’ here.
  • More than 200 people have been hospitalized with breathing difficulties in Tennessee as wildfires scorched the Southeast, according to CNN. Full story here.
  • Roddy White, a former Atlanta Falcon who is an NFL free agent, used a series of tweets to describe a traffic stop Wednesday that he said had him concerned for his life. Full CNN report here.