Monday Morning Coffee: Ginkgo

Because everyone needs at least one cup of coffee on a Monday!

Lexi Friesen | Social Media Editor

Coffee Shop: Ginkgo

FullSizeRender (10)Menu/Prices: Senior Nikki Betzler stated, “The ice cream wasn’t outstanding. It was like something you would buy at the grocery but I was craving it and it did the trick.” The ice cream was $2.50 for a single scoop. I tried an Americano (10 oz.) because I can’t go to a coffee shop and not try the coffee, especially if I am writing a coffee review! I paid $1.75 for a little bigger than a shot glass cup of coffee. Nothing special, just a regular tasting cup of coffee at 8:30 p.m. on a Tuesday night. Good thing I have a senior seminar paper to write. I am not ashamed to admit that I also bought an Italian strawberry soda – I’ve never had one before and I felt the day had arrived to try one. A sweet contradiction to my hot coffee, and again more sugar. Good thing I biked for 50 minutes in the Wellness Center (ladies and gentlemen, a shameless plug; if you haven’t been there yet you ought to try it out). For more on the menu: http://www.ginkgocoffee.com/menu.htm

Atmosphere/Seating: I think Nikki and I interrupted a mom’s group night. Twelve mom’s and a sleeping baby huddled around four tables kind of gave it away. There’s no music, but it’s clear that people are here to socialize. I had to put in my headphones to focus because there were quite a few people in the coffeehouse and only two tables were open. It was out of my league kind of hipster and it was hard to write this review as I was trying to people watch – a lady with dark plastic glasses, long brown hair, a flannel, beanie, and a flip phone; a man with the longest goatee I have ever seen, also wearing a flannel; a bearded man with a beanie and a black trench coat.

FullSizeRender (8)

Music: I can’t say this enough – if you are coming here, it’s quirky and you’re here to socialize. If you actually want to get work done then don’t forget your headphones!

Store Hours:

Monday – Thursday … 6:15 a.m. – 11 p.m.
Friday … 6:15 a.m. to 12 a.m.
Saturday … 6:30 a.m. to 12 a.m.
Sunday … 7:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Location:

721 Snelling Ave N
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55104

FullSizeRender (9)

Parking: There is parking lot in front of Ginkgo, but there is also a parking lot behind the store that is shared with two other stores. There were only a couple spots left when Nikki and I arrived.

Overall experience: I have to be honest, I don’t think I will go back. The coffee was good; the Italian soda was good; the artwork that reminds me of Aladdin but doesn’t scare me; it’s even open after 10 p.m. at night which is sometimes rare to find, but I think my coffee shop vibe is typically quieter since I am going for homework. Even when I go to a coffee to socialize I am used to a quieter atmosphere and not every group talking all at once. If this is the way Ginkgo wants their coffee shop to be though, then I think they nailed it, but I can hang out in the BC at Bethel for this volume.

*Disclaimer: We were kicked out of the coffee shop at 10 pm – apparently, their hours have changed, but they haven’t been changed online. They also didn’t tell us what their new hours were.