DC After Dark decompresses the Bethel community

The DC After Dark event finds its groove with live music, games and food.

By Josh Towner and Jared Martinson

On Friday night, the Monson Dining Center played host to a slough of Bethel students in need of music and good food. Jazz group Stumpy Rat and the GG’s, solo artist Matt Fredericksen and cover band The Friends demonstrated their talents. Board and card games were available, and a wide variety of food and drinks were served.

“It was fun having people as an audience. It was a chill atmosphere where you could play games, listen to music and have great fellowship,” said junior Peter Christenson.

A group of students enjoy a game of Apples to Apples. Other games available included Jenga and Uno. “It was a chill atmosphere where you could play games, listen to music and have great fellowship,” said junior Peter Christenson. | Photo by Josh Towner

The Student Activities team put together the entertaining evening to cap off the student body presidential election week, in which three sets of candidates vied for student body leadership. Voting ended Thursday night.

“This event was such a good idea. It was a really good way to build community,” said freshman Hannah Johnson.

After the music performances had finished, upperclassman Graham Andersen closed the night with a round of swing dancing lessons. Remaining students flocked to the dance floor and learned some simple steps. As the event wound down and the clock struck midnight, the last stragglers trickled out of the DC.

“This event went incredibly. It brought a good group of crowds that don’t normally come to SA events,” said Student Activities team member Ellie Schlauger.

Junior Ellie Schlauger dishes out pizza at DC After Dark. Popcorn, cotton candy and drinks were also served. | Photo by Josh Towner