Wild at heart

Bethel sophomore represents his favorite team, the Minnesota Wild, 24/7.

By Tatiana Lee

Sophomore Cody Pollock confidently walks around Bethel University wearing a Minnesota Wild sweatshirt, sweatpants and a cap. He doesn’t go a day without wearing one accessory on his body to represent the Wild. He might get a lot of jokes out of it, but to him it’s not just standing out.

When Pollock attended Dordt College in Iowa he stuck out by wearing Wild gear on purpose.

030118-spts-wild-christy-4
Pollock always has his Wild jerseys on display in his room. He has spent thousands of dollars on his 12 jerseys. | Photo by Maddie Christy

“I’m used to not fitting in,” said Pollock, “It was a way for me to keep my home identity while I was in Iowa.”

For as long as Pollock can remember, he has been on the ice playing hockey and on the couch watching it. In high school Pollock played on a club team and ended up gathering enough people for a school team, but he wasn’t able to play on the high school team because he graduated from South West Christian that year. Pollock was recruited to play hockey for Dordt College in Iowa, but changed his major and came to Bethel University.

Pollock has been watching the Wild play since 2000, when they joined the NHL. He rooted for number 29, Jason Pominville, until he was acquired last summer by the Buffalo Sabres. Pollock shows his passion for the Wild by owning twelve jerseys, four custom made pairs of shoes, one huge sticker on the hood of his truck and multiple more stickers around his truck. He owns a total of twelve jerseys which are a mix of authentic and replicas. The really important ones – which are signed – aren’t worn, but hung up.

030118-spts-wild-christy-3
Pollock owns a wide variety of Wild memorabilia including: a fridge, trash can, custom shoes, and a full set of goalie gear. | Photo by Maddie Christy

His favorite game was at the TCF Bank Stadium Feb. 21 the Wild beat the Blackhawks 6-1 during one of the Stadium Series matchups of 2016. Pollock’s dream job would be to work for the Wild or an organization connected with them.

Pollock’s roommate, sophomore finance major Noah Woodis, finds Pollock’s enthusiasm incredible.

“I’ve grown up around a lot of sports, but I’ve never seen this much passion,” said Woodis.

This is who Pollock is: he wears Wild gear to represent his passion, to show a piece of him. Pollock gets teased by his friends, but he isn’t shy or embarrassed about it. He shrugs off the little remarks and knows he loves what he is passionate about.