Bethel University vs. Saint John’s

No. 19 Bethel University lost against No. 8 Saint John’s Saturday, Sept. 23 in the MIAC opener.
Soraya
Wide receiver Will Eliason kicks a punt return during the Royal’s game against the Wartburg Knights. The next Bethel football showing be their homecoming game next Saturday, Sept. 30, against Gustavus Adolphus.

It was another tough game for Bethel University as they lost their first MIAC game to Saint John’s University 27-7. The Royals showed up ready to beat St. John’s on their home turf – something that hasn’t been done since 2013. 

The first half started off strong with a missed field goal by St. John’s and an interception by Isaac Call in the first quarter. It gave Bethel a little momentum. The energy was high on the sidelines as the players stood with their fans cheering them on from behind. 

Bethel took their first and last lead in the second quarter with a touchdown by Alex Call, giving the Royals the lead 7-0. But it didn’t last long. Two drives later St. John’s tied up the game with a 28-yard touchdown reception. An impressive catch by the Johnnies. Later, the Johnnies took the lead by hitting a 33-yard field goal, going into halftime with a score of 10-7.

In the second half, the Johnnies hit a 35-yard field goal, making the score 13-7 in the middle of the third quarter. The Royal offense couldn’t get anything to happen in the second half, struggling with their completions. 

Later, St. John’s stretched their lead with a 78-yard touchdown reception and another touchdown in the fourth, ending the game with a final score of 27-7. 

Aaron Ellingson had an impressive performance on offense with 19 carries for 65 yards while Matt Jung performed well defensively with 8 tackles. 

The Royals come back to play their homecoming game next Saturday, Sept. 30, against Gustavus Adolphus College.