Letter from the *managing editor

A few weeks ago all of my gadgets and gizmos were breaking, and I almost jumped into the Heritage pool.

My toothbrush head was loose and made a loud mechanical whirring. It sounded like there was a 40-lane highway construction site in my mouth. My watch light would flash for only a second so my brain had to read the time faster than the speed of comprehension. And my favorite black jeans had a hole in the crotch. You can imagine how awkward that one was. 

So I got a new Philips Sonicare toothbrush and an identical black and purple Timex Ironman watch and hit up the Roseville Old Navy before the week ended.

I wouldn’t say I am necessarily overly materialistic, but I like things that work and run orderly. And if they don’t, my journal will hear about it. In red ink.

Which is why I love the role of managing editor. I may sit next to Sarah during meetings, but I’m queen-behind-the-scenes. Keeping everyone rallied, working with Dan from House of Print to make sure our print issue will be delivered on the correct date and checking in to see that deadlines are met. 

As much as I want the Clarion staff to be on time and our grammar to be on par, the stories we write need to be more than just orderly. In fact, some of our stories from this month deal with really messy topics.

Like the difficulty of navigating Bethel’s campus with limited accessibility. Or a student’s exploration of grief after losing her father last year. Or when early-season injuries ruin chances of athletic glory.  

We don’t want our stories to be two-dimensional. If things look black and white we are probably missing an angle, an interview or seven to 10 additional colors hidden beneath the surface.

These stories aren’t orderly, and the problems they discuss can’t be solved by a trip to the Shoreview Target. And I have to be OK with that. In fact, I think we’re better for it, because they show us what life is really like. Full of anxiety and inspiring pastors and emotional support animals and unfulfilling classes and alleged Bigfoot sightings.

Stories in this issue

Out of order: Accessibility on campus

Worship isn’t reserved for Vespers

A lost season: An athlete’s road to recovery

What to expect from Francis Chan’s upcoming Chapel

My PSEO predicament

Sitting with the silence

Letter to the mean girls

Cat naps and dog days: Emotional support animals

The pseudoscience of Sasquatch