Men’s basketball starts the season 0-1

The Royals lose their home opener to the University of Northwestern – St. Paul in a close game.

Bethel University’s men’s basketball team lost 70-60 to the University of Northwestern at their home opener Tuesday.

The Royals had trouble finding the basket early on and continued to play catch-up throughout the entirety of the game. In the opening minutes, the Eagles took a 14-point lead while the Royals were kept to three points on the board. At 10 minutes, the Royals trailed the Eagles by nine with a score of 7-16. 

At the half, Bethel was down 26-36. 

The second half unfolded much like the first, UNW maintaining its lead. At two minutes, the Royals were able to narrow the gap to eight points but were not able to gain a lead, resulting in a 70-60 loss and starting the season off with a 0-1 record. 

The Royals shot 37.7% while the Eagles shot 43% from the field. 

Transfer student Nike Burke had an impressive performance for his first game in a Royals uniform. He led the team in shots with a career-high 20-point game. 

Bethel is on the road for its next game Saturday against Wisconsin-La Crosse.