Club for missionary kids, BSG stipends and budget

The Student Council met March 4. Here is what you need to know.

Too long; didn’t read

• BSG approves stipends for next year
  • Spring budget for BSG proposed
  • Third Culture Kids club proposed
  • Ellie Wasserman sworn in as new At-large Representative

BSG stipends

Student Council unanimously passed Proposal 1.14, which establishes stipends for BSG positions for next year. In total $24,100 will go towards stipends, the same amount as this year. However, some positions that have been allocated stipends may be removed by the council later in the semester as hiring for the positions began before stipends were set. At-large Representative Greta McArthur expressed concern that the BSG stipends were not keeping up with other on-campus rates and therefore make the roles less appealing. 

BSG budget

A budget for this semester was proposed and will be voted on at the next council meeting. Notably, each department received increased funding due to higher-than-projected enrollment numbers with the exception of Clubs, Organizations, and Intramurals, which received more funding in the fall for distribution to clubs. Each department received at least a 10% increase. 

Third Culture Kids club

Student council discussed proposal 1.17 to make TCK club an official BSG student interest club. TCK is a club that provides third culture kids, missionary kids or anyone desiring to learn and integrate a second culture into their lives a safe space to connect. They are seeking official BSG club status to help legitimize the club and attract more potential members. TCK has met the requirements for starting a club, including enough participants. The approval for the establishment of TCK will be voted on at the next council meeting.