Wednesday Quick News

Current news from Bethel, Minnesota and beyond, brought to you by the Clarion.

Abby Petersen | News Editor

Bethel News

• The Johnson Gallery features an exhibition by associate professor of art Amanda Hamilton’s until Oct. 23. Head to the Eastlund Room at 6 p.m. tonight for an artist talk.
  • Stop by the CC313 at 7 p.m. for a session on faith, race and privilege featuring national certified global career development facilitator Robyn Afrik, hosted by the Cultural Connection Center.
  • According to Vice President of Enrollment Tim Eaton Bethel’s retention rate, or percentage of returning first-year undergraduate students, for this fall is 87.8 percent, beating the previous record of 86.8 percent from 2002.

Local News

• Three Minnesota high school sports teams followed the example of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and knelt during the national anthem before games, according to the StarTribune. Kaepernick chose to sit during the national anthem last month to protest the treatment of minorities by law enforcement.
  • Bjorn Norderhaug, computer science major at Luther College and native of Eden Prairie, was found dead Sunday in the Upper Iowa River, according to the Associate Press. Norderhaug was 21. Read the story here. 
  • The FBI took over the investigation of 10 people being stabbed at the Crossroad Mall in St. Cloud Saturday, according to the StarTribune. Authorities are calling the attack “a potential act of terrorism.”

National and World News

• Tulsa, Okla. police released the video footage Monday of an unarmed black man being shot by police, according to Reuters. The shooting took place Friday after the man, Terence Crutcher, stopped because his vehicle broke down. The U.S. Justice Department is looking into a possible civil rights violation.
  • Not sure if you’re registered to vote Nov. 8? Check here for information on voting, candidates and issues.

Want to subscribe to Quick News? Click here.