Friday Quick News

Current news from Bethel, Minnesota and beyond, brought to you by the Clarion.

McKenzie Van Loh | News Reporter

Bethel News

• Monday Oct. 3 from 7-9 p.m., Pastor Givens will present on the origins and functions of Black Lives Matter. This event will take place in CC313 and will provide time for questions and discussion.
  • Bethel’s volleyball team will play two home games this weekend. They will play the University of Northwestern Friday at 5:30 p.m. and the College of Saint Benedict Saturday at 3 p.m.
  • Bethel students will load buses this Friday at 6 p.m. to watch the Twins play against the Seattle Mariners. Tickets can still be purchased today at the BC tables for $5.

Local News

• Due to record levels of rain, many parts of Minnesota have suffered major flooding, according to KARE11. Highways have been shut down, football fields have turned into ponds, and basements have been collapsing. To see more, click here.
  • A man died from a stabbing early this morning in St. Paul, according to the StarTribune. He was pronounced dead at Regions Hospital. Read the report here.

National News

• Police officer Betty Shelby of Tulsa, Oklahoma has been charged with felony manslaughter in the first degree, according to CNN. Shelby fatally shot 40-year-old Terence Crutcher after responding to a stopped SUV on the road Sept. 16 . More information can be found here. 
  • According to NBC news, a “State-Sponsored Actor” has hacked 500 million Yahoo accounts. Afraid your account may have been hacked? Check here for more details on the stolen information.
  • Not sure if you’re registered to vote Nov. 8? Check here for information on voting, candidates and issues.

Want to subscribe to Quick News? Click here.